Monday, September 5, 2011

Pledge not to dither

For some unexplained reasons, I became closer and closer to the Haitian people as I worked alone without the international or the Haitian Government support with those different communities throughout the country.  I travelled extensively in the different Departments and dispatched Mobile Clinic teams everywhere there was a need or a request.  I was focused in one or two target areas, mainly in the West.  However the more I travelled the mountainous tropical land from far North East to the South, the more I realized that the country was plagued with a striking poverty, killing slowly these resigned natives.

I began to see the country somewhat differently than I did before and the people began to see me to some extent differently as well and the questions began.  Are you some kind of a candidate?  Only a candidate will go to the extent of doing what I was doing, I was often told.  Politic, I often replied, was not my strong suit, nor my interest, but social was.   

My social life as I see it was a calling, not a choice.  I could not possibly deviate from it unless it was a continuum of the wishes of the great divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment